Sunday, February 12, 2006

Cornwall's "No Bid Zone

Cornwall's "No Bid Zone"By Tom SheppardMember, Board of Education
Have you noticed the "For Sale" signs that have been sprouting throughout Cornwall? I have, and I am concerned. While Cornwall Supervisor Dick Randazzo continues his crusade for school tax reform, his efforts are being undermined by our own Board of Education and its administration.Let me give you an example.
Aside from personnel costs, one of the largest contracts issued by the school district is for student transportation. For fiscal 2005-2006 approximately $2.6 million has been budgeted. In December private discussions were begun by the Board of Education with regard to the continuation of its transportation contract with the district's sole provider. There has been no effort made to secure bids from other vendors. On Thursday, February 2nd a potential competitor for a piece of the district's transportation contract met with Superintendent of Schools Tim Rehm. This well qualified and respected vendor made a commitment to transport special education students with equal or better service than the current vendor, and at a lower cost. On Friday, February 3rd Mr. Rehm sent a memorandum to Board members recommending that the vendor not be considered. Mr. Rehm did not explain his reasons and frankly I cannot see how he could make such a recommendation within a few short hours without doing his homework. My colleagues will undoubtedly agree with Mr. Rehm's recommendation, they always do. The point I am trying to make here is that it's the Board of Education's job to make your tax dollars do more by going further. We're making no such effort if we fail to seek alternatives that can save the district money. My other concerns are personal and pertain to my friends and neighbors. My heart aches when I hear my friends tell me they can no longer afford to pay their taxes, and the need to cut their medications in half so that they can save enough money to purchase oil to heat their homes.I am also tired and disgusted hearing the school district's administration claim recommended cost saving strategies will not be considered due to one reason or another. The people we have running our school district don't live here. We do, and we're the ones paying the bills. I applaud Dick's efforts in his crusade for school tax reform. Sadly Dick's efforts will be naught, however, if we don't take control of our own school district and demand reform from within.

No comments: